Est. 12/09

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sunday, March 6, 2011

I am Ready


I was born a Roman Catholic. Baptized as a little baby, unaware of what was happening. I went to CCD classes in second grade where
I was taught about the stories in the Bible, but I didn't comprehend them and I hardly remember any at all. I
made my first holy communion in my little white dress even though I didn't understand the significance. I picked my confirmation name, Cecilia, completely arbitrarily. I made my first confessions to childish things like accidentally losing my dad's favorite pen. I was "religious" --but not really. Then again who is at age 7? After that my religious life went downhill. I can count on one hand the number of times that I have gone to church
since then. None of what I did in my younger years holds any value anymore. But I wish more than anything that it still did. I want to be religious.
I am attracted to religious people because I wish I was them. I want that rock; that constant support and guidance in my life. I'm ready for it. But I'm not ready for it. I want and try so hard to believe in God, but the idea is so unbelievable and amazing that I can't even fathom it. I don't want to go to church just to go through the motions; I want to feel it and believe it. Sometimes I
want to pray for a sign, but I can't pray to God if I'm questioning
his existence. I need proof. I don't even know if I am truly Roman Catholic. I know my beliefs morally, but I don't know how that relates religiously. I don't know who I am or where I stand. I don't want force-fed religion like when I was younger. I need to know my options so I can decide what I believe. Does it even matter if I'm Catholic or Lutheran or Orthodox or Mormon or Presbyterian?
Does the label make a difference?
I don't even know what the differences are. I am lost in a religious jungle without a map or even a sense of direction. And I'm afraid that I will never be able to find my way out.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.